MyOKCMommy's Puppy Training Tips


This post is brought to you as a part of the Dog Days of Summer Campaign, hosted by the folks at dog training collars. Our hope is that all our furry friends have a safe summer full of fun!

You see that cute little puppy and you just have to have it.  I always wonder how many puppies get returned or given away when the owner’s training methods fail, and the dog seems to be the one to blame.

When we first got our puppy, Cybil, I believed dogs belonged outside. I am sure many of you feel the same way.  My husband had always had dogs in the house and assured me I would grow to love her being inside.  Well, if you are going to have a housedog, one of the most important things about keeping your house clean is potty training your puppy.  Again, something I knew nothing about.  I learned a great way to potty train my puppy and I tell people that they should do it this way all of the time. Actually in general, it is a great training method for many reasons. It makes life easier on both you and the learning puppy!!!  So what is my training method, you ask?  Kennel training.  I can hear some people saying that that is animal cruelty, but in my opinion it is the best way. 
 
In the beginning it is important to take your pet outside, play with your pet, and of course feed him.  My husband and I found that in the first week of potty training, it was best to do just that, and then put her in the kennel.  It wasn’t easy though, she whimpered, and my husband wanted to get her out.  He said that she wouldn’t go to the bathroom in the place that she had to sleep or lay in.  Therefore, when we let her out of the kennel, we would take her directly outside.  She would then learn when she wasn’t in the kennel; she was to go to the bathroom outside.  Believe it or not, this did work.  After about a week, we began to let her stay out of the kennel and play awhile longer when we were home.  We increased the time each day, but of course always putting her back in the kennel when we left or when we went to bed.  Over time, our training method was successful, very little accidents.  Our little dog always felt like the kennel was her home, and even years later she would go in there to sleep, or if the kids were noisy she went in there.  We thought she went in there for a little alone time!!  Of course, after she was potty trained, we never shut the door, but again, she found it to be her safe place and went in the kennel every once in awhile.  Now, earlier I want to mention that our dog did not have any accidents in her kennel.  I have heard most people say the same thing.  Of course, if your pet is sick, and has no control, than that theory might go out the window!!!  When we had our puppy spayed, we put her in there because she was so unsteady by the anesthesia.  First of all, she stood facing the back of the kennel, and second of all I don’t think she knew she was in the kennel.  She did have some issues that time, but that was after a procedure.  We hated to have to put her in the kennel when she wasn’t feeling well, but she was disoriented and we didn’t want her to hurt herself.  This again, is another benefit of kennel training.  We had a place to keep her safe, and she wasn’t scared.  It was a pleasant and familiar environment for her to recover.

I hope when many of you get a new puppy or dog that you will consider kennel training for your potty training method, or just for training in general.  It really did make things go much easier for our pet and ourselves.  By the way, I now believe that every dog belongs inside!
Share on Google Plus Pin It!
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments: